Sri Jatayu Rama Temple

Jatayupara (The Jatayu Rock) has been graced with the Paadam of Lord Sri Ram and the Moksha of Sri Jatayu.in the era of Treta Yuga. In the mid-twentieth century, circa 1973 AD, Param Pujaniya Swamy Satyananda Saraswati Maharaj, Mathadhipati of Sree Ramadasa Mission Ashramam – Chenkottukonam, has climbed the Rock and enlightened his ardent devotee Shri Kummanam Rajasekharan about its significance and sanctity. Understanding the necessity of constructing a Temple, the disciples and devotees of Swamiji took it as their mission to consecrate the 13-feet tall concrete idol of Lord Sri Kodandarama in standing pose (Height: 156 Inches / 397 CM) within the shortest period available. The idol had to be ascended far above 1000 Feet with great difficulty. The consecration of the Deity facing North was performed by His Holiness Swami Satyananda Saraswati Maharaj on Rohini Nakshatra and Dashami Tithi of Makaram 20 Kollavarsham 1149 (Malayalam Era) corresponding to Saturday 2 February 1974. Daily Puja commenced thereafter.

The primary Deity of the Temple is Lord Sri Ram as Sri Kodandarama Swamy. Other Deities include Sri Anjaneya Swamy, Goddess Sita Devi, Sri Laxmana Swamy, Lord Sri Jatayu Swamy as Sri Veer Jatayu, Lord Surya, Lord Sri Dakshinamurti, and Swami Satyananda Saraswati & Brahmasree Neelakanta Gurupadar.

The Rock Temple Pilgrim Complex, where Jatayu has attained Moksha on the lap of Lord Sri Ram, consists of Rama Paadam – the Holy Left Footprint of Lord Sri Ram, and Kokkarani – the Holy Water Reservoir emanated from the thirsty Jatayu’s beak stroke.

 

Sri Jatayu Rama Kshetram is dedicated to the human race for the propagation and realisation of the legacy of Jatayu. The ideals of women safety, women welfare, women empowerment, environment conservation, universal spirituality, and cultural & civilisation research & studies are essential to guide the society towards the path of harmony and righteousness.

 

The Temple Complex atop the hill is owned by the Jatayupara Sri Kodandarama Trust formed in 1965 AD comprising 12 members inclusive of Patron Shri Kummanam Rajasekharan, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Joint-Secretary, Treasurer, and six members.

Subscribe to Newsletter